Short-term entrance fees at Mesa Verde National Park will increase more than 55% next year.
The increase follows a request for public comments on a fee proposal released in October 2017.
National parks mostly raised entrance fees across the board rather than increase peak-season fees at 17 highly visited national parks, according to a news release from Cristy Brown, management support specialist at the park.
“Revenue from entrance fees remains in the National Park Service and helps ensure a quality experience for all who visit,” Brown said. “At Mesa Verde National Park, at least 80% of entrance fees stay in the park and are devoted to spending that supports the visitor. We share the other 20% of entry fee income with other national parks for their projects.”
The new off-peak fees will be in effect from Jan. 1 through April 30 and will resume Nov. 11. The fee increase takes effect Jan. 2.
Fees for a private vehicle will rise from $20 to $30, a 50% increase.Fees per person will rise from $10 to $15, a 50% increase.Fees for motorcycles will rise from $15 to $25, a 66% increase.Cost of an annual park pass will be unchanged, at $55.Fees are good for entrance to Mesa Verde for up to seven days. Entrance fees are not charged to visitors younger than 16; holders of the America the Beautiful pass; senior; access; military or volunteer passes; or the annual fourth grade pass.
Entrance fees have helped purchase and install water bottle filling stations and drinking fountains; provide visitor educational programs at Wetherill Mesa; and help stabilize Spruce Tree House and Cliff Palace cliff dwellings. Upcoming projects include rehabilitation of the Morefield Amphitheater and additional stabilization work at archaeological sites throughout the park, Brown said.
In 2018, more than 563,420 park visitors contributed $58.5 million to the local economy and supported 828 jobs related to tourism, Brown stated.
For more information about Mesa Verde National Park, visit at www.nps.gov/meve.